Friday, April 6, 2012

iPod classic or paper weight?


Had a guy from work bring me an iPod classic to look at. The thing would not turn on and wouldn't do anything when plugged in to a USB port. He tried every possible way to reset it and couldn't find the problem.

I took it home and cracked it open. I couldn't find any loose ribbon cables or signs of damage. I suspected that maybe the LCD screen was bad but I would eventually be able to play music from it even if the screen is bad. Looking at port on the iPod I noticed a small shiny strip of gold colored metal sticking up. I thought to myself that this has to be it.

I carefully bent the strip down using a combination of a jewelers screwdriver and a paper clip. What ever this pin was it was grounding to the inside of the port causing the unit not to function.

Eventually I got it to lay down. I put the iPod back together and proceeded to plug it in to a charger. After a few minutes I gave it a go and everything seems to be working just fine.

This goes to show that sometimes electronics can be fixed easily. One needs only to be observant and inspect carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment